Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that make the world run today – planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use the latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work with leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
Do you have a passion for software development and testing and applying modern engineering practices?
We are looking for qualified software development professional to be part of our IBM Z Systems team, to help us take z/OS development to the next level on the mainframe. Candidates will work closely with teammates to provide a world-class infrastructure on z/OS platform with the reliability, availability, serviceability, and security, that exceeds our clients’ expectations. The z/OS development team operates as a self-directed Agile squad with all team members working collaboratively throughout our development and test processes.
If you thrive in an open, vibrant, flexible, fun-spirited, collaborative environment and desire to work on high performing team this is an opportunity for you.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Join an innovative team to design, develop and perform function/system verification test for the Z Series Operating System(z/OS) which runs IBM mainframe computers. You will work in an agile, collaborative, and cross-discipline environment employing IBM’s Design Thinking.
As a member of a team, you will work on the following z/OS components:
Runtime Diagnostics, a base component of z/OS that is designed to help you analyze a system that has a potential problem or soft failure.
Predictive Failure Analysis extends availability by going beyond failure detection to predict problems before they occur.
Console Services, provides the mechanisms for the traditional interactions between the operating system and the operator to allow for the monitoring and control of the hardware and software.
Capacity Provisioning Management can dynamically activate additional processors if Workload Manager (WLM) is not able to satisfy workload demand and goals.
Time Sharing Option/Extensions (TSO/E) is a base component of z/OS which allows users to create an interactive session with the system. TSO provides a single-user logon capability and a basic command prompt interface to z/OS. In general, TSO makes it easier for people with varying levels of experience to interact with the z/OS system.
Common Event Adapter (CEA) is a base component which provides the event driven action and services between components. Interactive System Productivity Facility (ISPF) is another base component that provides facilities for all aspects of host-based software development and many use ISPF exclusively for performing work on z/OS.
- Designing, coding and unit/function/system testing of new development projects and defect fixes following z/OS process and procedures
- Packaging and shipment of temporary and official fixes as well as new releases using the required tools
- Ensuring new development and defects are resolved within established time frames based on the priorities assigned
- Interfacing with other teams and occasionally clients to gather additional information
- Working in collaboration with other groups and teams daily
- Understanding our internal development infrastructure and best practices
- Practicing Lean and Agile development principles
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Strong collaborative skills with a minimum of 2 years of experience in a working in a team-based environment.
- BS/MS degree in fields related to Software Engineering (for example, computer science, computer engineering, software engineering)
- Demonstrated communication, analytical, and software development skills
- Advanced understanding of operating system components and workflow
- 3+ years of experience in software engineering
- 3+ years of experience with programming languages: C,C++, Java, Python, Assembler
- Knowledge of TSO, JCL
- Basic knowledge of CIM (Common Information Model) technology
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Understanding of z/OS operating system components and workflow
- Knowledge of PL/X language, Assembler
- Demonstrated understanding of Agile concepts
- Basic knowledge of CLIST, REXX and ISPF
- DFSMS and/or UNIX files and commands (for ISPF roles)