Daye is a highly ambitious R&D startup on a mission to raise the standards in the female healthcare industry. Our aim is to bridge the gender gap in medical research and product innovation by designing products rooted in scientific rigor and inspired by the female intuition.
We are building a comprehensive gynae health platform that will address all areas of female health, from the first menstruation up to menopause, and beyond.
We started by upgrading the tampon and after 3 years of R&D, in 2020 we launched the world’s first pain-relieving tampon. We quickly expanded our product portfolio to cover vaginal health with our ProViotics - the first microbiome safe treatment for recurrent infections. We are currently working on several new digital and physical products and are in the process of expanding to the US market.
Our team of 50, based in London and Sofia, is changing the face of gynae health for the better, and we need exceptional talent to help achieve our mission.
About the opportunity
We are looking for a Design Engineering Intern based in Sofia or London. The ideal candidate is an ambitious Engineering student or recent graduate, with a passion for continuous learning and new challenges within the female health industry.
At Daye, you will work closely with the Design Engineering Team and Quality Team. Your role will span in-house R&D, machine troubleshooting, design, and quality tasks depending on where help is needed in particular projects. In particular, this may involve product testing, assembly of machines, and ensuring processes are well documented within the quality system, just to name a few.
The goal for the team is for you to get involved in particular projects long term, so that you can learn how projects are managed in a fast-paced environment with changing factors. As a start-up, we have to be agile to deal with sometimes ambiguous work conditions and you will be asked to pick up tasks across the team as needed.
Daye is a young company with a multidisciplinary team so you will be developing a broad business perspective and gaining valuable experience by working on a number of projects. If this sounds like something you would enjoy, we’d love to talk with you!
What you’ll be doing
- Experimenting and testing a variety of products, formulations or designs.
- Building test rigs.
- Creating, organising, and editing procedures for our quality management system.
- Organising, performing, and appropriately documenting benchtop testing for product performance and understanding.
- Data analysis and report writing based on completed testing with results presented to the team in adequate time.
- Examining the production environment and process, identifying areas of improvement, and recommending efficiency improvements.
- Aid in the development of new products and/or automated production machinery.
- Assisting the DE and Product teams with other tasks as needed.
- Sharing our mission to improve the quality of female health – all while building strong foundations for a successful career!
What you need to bring
- Degree qualified or final year student in Mechanical, Design, Manufacture, Production, Electromechanical, or similar engineering discipline; or relevant engineering experience.
- Knowledge of how to set up experiments and collect data for testing.
- Experience in hands-on prototyping - from making models from cardboard to 3D printing to using standard machine shop equipment.
- Understanding and experience of CAD modeling, in particular Solidworks.
- Ability and willingness to quickly experiment to test out hypotheses and ideas.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Nice to have
- Knowledge of engineering materials - e.g. biopolymers, composites, textiles.
- Understanding of statistical techniques.
- Passion for and knowledge of sustainability engineering.
Is Daye right for you?
You will thrive at Daye, if you like dynamic, fast-paced environments and you are comfortable with high levels of ambiguity. This is your place, if you like being proactive and hands-on while wearing many hats. We want to hear from you, if you see yourself in all of the above, and you share our core values:
- Culture of excellence. Persistent AF. We take pride in our work, never cutting corners, always pushing boundaries and persisting in the pursuit of our goals.
- Customer first. Science forward. Our decisions are driven by our consumers’ best interests and based on data, evidence and research.
- Everyone’s an owner. We believe in accountability and proactively seeking answers and solutions.
- Ego be damned. Feedback and constructive criticism are always welcome because we’re not afraid of speaking out, making mistakes or adapting.
- Long-term benefit over short-term gain. We have the courage to do the right thing, even if it’s not the easiest thing to do at this very moment.
- Different paths, same destination. Every conversation is approached with the understanding that we’re all on one team, because even though everyone may have a different perspective, we have a shared vision.
Why join us
Working at Daye, you will be collaborating with a passionate, motivated and international group of top performers. Our team is big enough so you can grow, but lean enough so you can make a real impact. We’re always pushing boundaries, for us that’s the first step to a fulfilling and rewarding career. We move fast and we are not afraid of making mistakes or adapting. We believe no problem is too big to solve. We also believe everyone is an owner, which gives all of us at Daye the scope and space to grow. For this we offer:
- Remuneration - Competitive pay rates with yearly salary reviews
- Growth - Paid training opportunities (e.g. certificates, conference visits)
- Flexibility - Work whenever and wherever works best for you, Flexi Fridays
- Work-life balance - 30 days paid vacation per year including bank holidays
- Parental leave - Generous shared parental leave and return to work policy
- Healthcare - Private health insurance
- Wellness - Free professional coaching, Mental Health Day
- Work environment - Diverse, yet like-minded, casual & sociable community
How to Apply
Does this role sound like a good fit? Tell us about you, your experience and why you are interested in this job.
- Include the role's title in your subject line.
- Attach your latest CV and send along links that best showcase the relevant things you've built and done.
- Press send and we’ll get back to you within 1 week.